Sunday, March 1, 2009

Fort Worth Zoo

This is supposed to be the one of the top 5 zoos in the nation...I dont know, it was pretty cool. I dont know really what makes a zoo remarkable, they all seem pretty similar to me, I do remember the san diego zoo being pretty cool with a train ride or something..I may be confusing this memory with something else but I remember riding a train around seein all sorts of animals?! anyway, we went to the fort worth zoo last monday, we probably didnt see half of it cuz its huge but it was fun. the highlight was definitely this bird room they had. they had a ton of birds in this big outdoor netted room..tons of little birds. they sell sticks with bird feed on them and the birds come right up to the sticks and get on them and eat. its pretty cool for kids, I liked it too though. alright so diesel was loving it and figuring out that the birds liked the sticks for some reason... so he was getting em to land on his sticks and then he saw that he could pet em a little if he wanted. then he went on to try to grab and hold them. the birds didnt like this much and pretty soon none of the birds would come to his stick. he didnt get it and wasnt gonna give up so he started to jab his stick into groups of birds thinkin he could force them on? then he started to try to stop them with his feet? I told him to settle down and got him some new sticks cuz the food was gone on his and then took him to the other side of the cage where some new birds might not know what his plan was and might still come to his sticks. in the meantime I started showing detroit how it worked, he didnt get it for a couple minutes, he just keep trying to eat the bird food off the sticks...then all the sudden he just caught on and had 5 birds on his sticks in each hand and was walking real fast around the bridge in excitement and giggles! it was so cute i couldnt take enough pictures and get a good enough video! so all this is going on and birds are flying everywhere on my shoulders on my arms cuz I had a more new sticks for diesel and detroit in my hands I forgot about, so I had birds on me and on detroit and on my hand with the camera and I turn around and see diesel and he has a bird under his foot! I say diesel and he looks up like yeah! i caught one! with his eyes and mouth wide open, so i walk over and tell him he cant use his feet, but i dont wanna tramatize him cuz this bird looks hurt... so i help the bird get out, he was kinda wedged in between to pieces of wood of the bridge and he still just sits there on his side. diesel is all excited mommy lookit birdy i got it, grabbin at it.. im sayin diesel settle down leave him alone he looks a little sick, people are watching us... anyway 5 seconds later the birds eyes roll back into his head and close! diesel killed the poor thing! im not proud of this but i was torn between laughing and takin a picutre or running away and fleeing the scene... well not to worry curtis got like 3 pictures with his phone and I did take one real quick and then I went and told the zoo people that there was a sick/dead bird on the bridge. so we were done after that...we went on a train ride and then went home...the rest of the day diesel was saying, daddy I stomp on a bird, like this (and he shows you how with 3 stomps) so it turns out he really did kill the bird, I dont know if he knows what happened. I guess I need to have a talk with him, I didnt want to scar him though! again whaddo you do! anyway about the rest of the zoo...he talked about the tiger the whole time. wanted to go find the tiger so he could lick his boo boo and make it better. (he wanted a bandaid on the car ride to the zoo for his hurt finger? he always says somethings hurt, he just wants a bandaid he loves freakin bandaids. so on the ride over i told him that we would be at the zoo soon that I didnt have a bandaid for the last time and that the tiger would fix it.) lucky the tigers were asleep laying in the sun when we found them so i had an excuse for him why they wouldnt lick his finger? I gotta stop makin things up now I guess huh?! oh, there was a pretty cool gorilla there we ran into.. he put on a little show for diesel and detroit, he got right up to the glass and was breathing out his nose, fogging up the glass making funny faces, diesel and detroit were cracking up! i was too, he was a weird gorilla. oh and we got pulled over on the way to the zoo, got out of it, but the officer told us that there was a gorilla that escaped the dallas zoo 3 years ago and hurt a few people before they had to kill it, so i was glad this gorilla was behind some pretty thick glass, and he seemed pretty mellow! anyway ill get some pictures on here today and the videos of those birds soon! yes, thats the little yellow bird he sent to its death
im pretty sure this is when diesel stomped on the bird i think he is behind me in this picture and look, people just sat and watched?!he asked to go in there, i wanna go in with themto get these next 3 pictures i had to get in the cage with the Lions ("what are you in for..mmmaaann slaughter, i slaughter the man..rraarr" -brian reagan), it was a close call but well worth itthey loved the dip and dots...ha ha, look at detroits face, he went for that bite like 3 times! i made him wait so i could get a picture, i didnt know it was gonna look that funny though! this entry took me a while, i have a hard time picking my favorite pictures, guess ill be happy someday i took the time to put them all on here!

-TANYA

4 comments:

Steph said...

Oh my gosh-this zoo seems amazing! The bird part sounds really awesome-sorry about the whole thing with Dies though. Yikes..I wouldn't have known what to do either. I understand not wanting to traumatize him though-I think you handled it well.

Alisa said...

oh fun that zoo looks amazing. The boys already look bigger its crazy anyway I happy to see you guys are doing so good.

Marcia Milam said...

Tanya- You have some pretty amazing stories to tell! Isn't it great that you have a blog to record it all down, so that in 20 years when Deisel is older, he can read all this and know what a trouble maker he was?? I'm sure he will grow out of it- I don't know- he does have some of that MILAM blood! ha ha! anyway- I need to subscribe to your blog--- so I can read it more often. I will try to figure out how to do that! Well- Texas sounds like fun. Someday we will get over there. Donny will have to go and help me. Good way to get him there I guess! Talk to you lateR!

Scott said...

he killed the bird...awesome! just try to keep him from killing his brother. you know he's gonna shove him off the tramp one of these days. lol. cute pics.